Saturday, October 1, 2011

National Parks Tour - NM

Trinity Site

Site of the first nuclear explosion on July 16, 1945.  Trinity Site is deep in White Sands Missile Range and is open to the public on two days each year.  The first Saturday in April and October.  It was a 1,000 bonus point location on the 2011 Land of Enchantment motorcycle rally.  I always wanted to visit this historical site and when I found out the LOE Rally included it as a bonus location I signed up for the rally.




On US 70 just east of Alamogordo.  This was an opportunity NPT passport stamp stop as it was not a planned stop on the LOE rally plan.  I literally stumbled over it on my way to the next bonus point. 



Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument

This site was on the LOE Rally bonus list and was a challenge to get to.  It was at the end of a one lane road through the Gila National Forrest that went on for almost 40 miles.  When I started down the road it was late afternoon.  I had to ride back out at dusk then dark.  Lots of critters.  I did not get a passport stamp as the Visitor Center was closed when I arrived. 



Carlsbad Caverns

This was a treat to visit.  I stopped by on my way home after the LOE Rally.  Took lots of pictures inside the caverns but most of them turned out too dark or fuzzy.  But It was a cool, literally, experience.



Check out this SpotWalla Map of the entire LOE Rally ride.  Also, check out the blog of the Land of Enchantment Rally for more details about my second official motorcycle rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment